Why choose Highland Dance?
- Fun, social environment to meet new friends
- Great cardiovascular exercise
- Builds and instills self-confidence, self-discipline and self-motivation
- Opportunities for competitions and performances
When can my child register for classes?
You can register your dancer at any time for the next dance season beginning in July of each calendar year. Occasionally students are accepted mid-year. Please contact us for more information.
Classes start each September and run through to May. Competitive dancers may continue into June.
How many days a week will my child dance?
Time commitment is dependent on your dancer’s level of progress. Typically young children new to highland dance attend one class per week. As your dancer advances, the teachers will inform you of opportunities for additional classes.
What should my child wear to class?
- BSHD Dress Code page
- Dancers must wear dance shorts with a fitted tank top (active wear) and knee-high socks.
A body suit & tights are also acceptable but must wear either knee-high socks or garters over tights.
- Dancers must wear knee socks or tights with garters under the knee.
- No playground clothing, t-shirts, loose shorts, skorts allowed.
- Dance shoes (highland, ballet or gymnastics slippers) must be worn for all classes.
- Hair must be neatly off the face and neck.
- No bare midriffs. No halter-tops.
- No sweatshirts/sweatpants other than for warm-up.
Can parents stay and watch the class?
Yes, parents are welcome to stay and watch class so long as they are not a distraction to the class. That means no talking amongst the parents during class time and please leave siblings outside of the dance studio.
For more information, please visit the BSHD Registration page.